Wednesday, March 6, 2013

We're Still Alive

I would have blogged sooner if my stupid (awesome) new smart phone would let me type in blogger without closing down the whole internet. Which it doesn't. So I'm just getting around to our blog now after our (my) long hiatus.

Well we made it safe and sound to Washington, me driving by myself in my Accord and Dan driving by himself in a 16-foot moving truck, pulling his Civic on a trailer behind and all! We both had the thought while we were on the road, "Wow. All of our belongings in the world are in these two vehicles. And we're moving. And don't really know what to expect. And all of our possessions are right here, on the road. And basically our whole life is in these two vehicles." It made me feel very small in the world! Not in a bad way though.

In all honesty, I really did not enjoy my time in Washington over the summer. This time is a whole lot better. I think it has to do with not living with a random woman we had never met and being able to have our own space, living in a much nicer apartment, and not living in the middle of a gloomy, dark forest. We love our apartment. The complex we live in was in our ward over the summer, but it was recently switched to a different ward. A different stake even. I really wanted to be in our old ward, and I do miss the people there, but I am so grateful we are in the ward we are in. Heavenly Father knows exactly what we need! Our ward is a bit on the lower-income side and is greatly composed of apartments, so there's a lot of people that come and go and a LOT of baptisms. It is awesome. The missionary work here is insane. There have been multiple confirmations in sacrament meeting for 3 or 4 weeks straight. Dan regularly goes on splits with the missionaries, and both of us have been asked by the missionaries to go with them to do a building tour for investigators (though my appointment fell through).

Dan's been called as an elders' quorum instructor and I've been called as a ward organist. I will also probably be called as the choir pianist in the near future. I've already played the piano and/or organ at a funeral and a baptism, and am playing the organ this Sunday, as well as giving a talk in sacrament meeting (Dan's giving one too!). So we're pretty busy!

Dan's really liking his job. They gave him a huge project that was already behind schedule and he has been doing a great job catching up. Extra blessing, the deadline was moved from May to September. So things are going well for him. I'm still looking for a job unfortunately. But that's okay, I've been keeping busy with cleaning/organizing the apartment, grocery shopping, laundry, errand-running, and Netflix/Hulu. Haha. And of course applying to more jobs than I can remember. Hopefully something works out soon.

I haven't uploaded any pictures and feel super lazy, so pictures will have to wait.

Speaking of pictures, my birthday is on Saturday and Dan got me a NEW CAMERA!!! Like an awesome professional-type one! And my parents chipped in too! I am really excited. I'm hoping to maybe start a small photo business to bring in some extra dough. First I need to learn all of the gadgets and buttons and settings though.

Well, that's about it for now. I'll try to update more regularly but no guarantees....heh.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for the new camera! I love my fancy-pants camera!! What kind did you get?

    I'm glad the move is going well, and I hope you find a job soon. Job hunting kind of stinks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're writing to keep us updated on your life as Washingtonians. I'm also glad you're keeping busy and happy. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete