Wednesday, November 28, 2012

These Kids

More entertainment from the middle-schoolers:

A group of kids asked me what my first name was. I told them it starts with an L. They started guessing all sorts of weird things like Luis and Leaf and some weird tribal-sounding name. One kid asked if my name was Leonardo DeCaprio. I said yes.

Yesterday was a block day, and so there were more team games in Ms. M's class. One team's name changed every time the kids changed their score on the board. It went from Rainbow to Eyebrow to Eyeball and who knows what else I missed.

One boy was observing how rowdy and crazy his class was. He turned to me and said, "Why would anyone choose this as a career!?" I said, "This isn't my career. It's my job until my husband graduates and we move." He high-fived me. I didn't realize that was so complimentary haha.

Monday, a boy (the same black boy who coined the team name "Blackie Chan") was wearing a light pink collared shirt open over top of a white t-shirt. His collar was inside-out though, so that it was turned in and tucked into his shirt. I saw him like this before school and thought it was just his idea of a fashion statement (he dressed up as a "slave grandma" for Halloween for crying out loud) and didn't think much more of it. In class, however, Ms. M, who was clearly thinking along the same lines as me, said, "So what's up with the collar?" He looked puzzled and touched his collar and said, "OOOH! I didn't know it was tucked in!" He must have some lame friends, letting him walk around all day like that haha.

Today, a girl in the period after lunch was carrying around an orange. But this was no ordinary orange. She had scraped 2 small holes out of its peel for eyes, somehow gouged a baby carrot in for a nose, and jammed a plastic spoon in right under the carrot to make it look like the orange was eating. And it was leaking.

In first period today, Mrs. R was telling her class about some crazy story she'd heard on the radio about a car rolling down a hill and a little boy getting out of the car and eating Skittles off the ground that had spilled out the windows during the roll. One kid said, "Mrs. R, are you gullible?" Shortly after this, another kid said, "Did you know that if you say 'green beans' really slow it sounds like 'gullible?'" Of course the room was then filled with a chorus of students saying sluggishly and rather stupidly, "Greeeeeeeen beeeeeaaaannnnssssss." Hahahah so I guess most middle-schoolers really ARE gullible.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha! This is hilarious! I especially love the orange story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! Every single one of these observations seriously made me laugh out loud for real! Good thing I am by myself, otherwise that could have been embarrassing! That black kid should be my best friend, but I would also like to hang out with orange girl. I love you, Leonardo DiCaprio!!

    ReplyDelete